photo source unknown

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Let the Book of Shadows begin!

I’m so proud of myself!!
I have officially begun my Book of Shadows!! This has been something I’ve been excited about doing for well over a year now and finally the time is right to begin! I’ve gathered materials and been ruminating about what I would like said book to contain.
Recently I started a list of items I’d like to include.

It filled up an entire page.
Yikes.

Something Swan (my mentor) suggested saved the day- break it up into multiple books. For some reason this hadn’t occurred to me but now I’m so glad because now I get to make not only one super kick ass cool book but a grand total of……..
(drum roll please)
FOUR!!!

There will be one grande book, the mammacita of them all, my official Book of Shadows and then in typical fashion (everything is in triplicate with me) there will be an additional three books that will cover a myriad of topics. (I swear I didn't plan on there being three, it just worked out that way)

I’m in heaven! Sure, it’s immense in scope but realistically I’ll be working on it the rest of my life so I suppose I have time. (Well, let’s hope I do…)
This has all the earmarks of a fantastic project- I LOVE BOOKS firstly, secondly; I love handwritten books- be it books of poetry, journals, whatever, the hand written pages are so much more personal and intimate to me. Thirdly, I get to decorate it!! That means stickers, sparkly wonderfully colored pens, lovely thick colored paper, decorative pages, my very own table of contents…and likely the best part of it all is what Witch is complete without a Book of Shadows?

This is all part of me taking initiative and shaping my identity and thusly my life. Going from thinking about this and longing to do it and actually making it happen feels good too. A lifetime of procrastinating and dreaming has left me with a deficit of actual projects completed and many dashed dreams. I did have to make some sacrifices to find the time for this though, one of them being opting out of participating in the gallery exhibition I was invited to show my paintings at. Oh poo. Oh well. There are only so many hours in the day!

I’ve got all of the chapters outlined, I bought colored card stock from the ever tempting ‘Paper Source’ and made my own lined sheets, I’ve gathered some fantastic stickers & pens & such, my notes and loose papers are all gathered, now all that is left is to begin!

My first step will be transcribing all of my loose papers onto the nice paper and putting them into the appropriate sections of the books. This will be very time consuming yet worth it, I’ve been taking Wicca & Witchcraft classes for nearly two years now so I’ve got gobs of notes that I’d like to organize and keep. Additionally I've wanted to organize my reference papers forever too- herbs, meditation techniques, symbology, Wheel of the Year, Tarot, things of that sort and much much much more.

I'm addicted to crafts and books.
Wheeee!

3 comments:

jaz@octoberfarm said...

what coincidence. i have been posting BOS's the last few days and you might want to take a look. i own the original BOS from the movie 'practical magic' and it is on my blog too. have a look when you can.

Magaly Guerrero said...

This is such an important step and one that keeps on moving too! My BOS is alive, I swear lol. I'm always adding new things to it. My latest--don't laugh--is virtual Magic. I just think that so many things are being done over the Internet, that I want to put together some virtual rituals, circles... and such, just to see how it goes.

Have fun with your witchy crafting ;)

Nadette said...

are you doing a binder like set up, or like a scrap book almost? I make books, and I love making books of shadows, I have started somany over my time, but never stuck with one. I think it shounds like your going to have a lot of fun.