photo source unknown

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

~Count Your Blessings~

Today I am very grateful.

I'm grateful that I am able to go and spend some quality time with my grandmother. One might notice a theme to the last handful of posts, family family family. We've had some hard losses this year and while I'm sad that it had to be under these circumstances I would have to say that we've been putting some extra special effort into being close to our loved ones.

My grandmother took a nasty spill yesterday and I am blessed to have a job where I am given paid vacation days and am able to afford a ticket so I am going to take a handful of days off and go and be with her while she is on the mend. When I called to tell her I was coming I could hear pure joy in her voice, she perked up big time, it was adorable. I intend on having her help me learn how to make bread, make a pie crust, be a better embroiderer (she's the one who taught me in the first place!) and hopefully how to operate a sewing machine. We'll see though, she's not known for her patience but it might be that she's mellowed out a bit more these days...I'm not getting my hopes up...we'll just see what happens. Another thing I have to make sure we work on is a memory box that I bought her a little over a year ago. Hallmark put out these sets called Memory Boxes, I believe they were designed by Marcia Cross (of Desperate Housewives) and they were pretty cool. They are hard to find now, Hallmark quit carrying them for some reason but now and again you can find them on Ebay. They have a book with questions and a mini tape recorder, a little album and so forth. I really want her to give me as much memories of her & my late grandfather as she can.

It is unfortunate that it takes getting older sometimes to appreciate our elders and the lives they have lived. I wish I had asked more questions as a child, been able to learn more things from her. I wish I knew something of my parent's grandparents but they were gone long before I was a glimmer in the gloaming. I want my baby to know their great grandparents but it does not seem that we will be granted that opportunity. I'll collect as much info as I can before we bid them farewell.

1 comment:

KrisMrsBBradley said...

Oh, be sure to get her to answer some questions while you are there!

We recently sent a copy of these questions out to all the "old folks" in our family:

http://genealogy.about.com/cs/oralhistory/a/interview.htm

It was so much fun getting the answers!