photo source unknown

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Just for once

Y'know, just for once I'd like to watch a show on exotic animals without being reminded that us crappy humans have put them in immanent danger.  I know that we have done terrible things to the animals and to the environment.  I think about it all the time.  I was born guilty, guilty for the racism & slavery, guilty for the environmental disasters that are largely perpetrated by rampant consumerism, guilty for the extermination of exotic animals the world over.  There have been many times throughout my life that I have been so paralyzed by guilt and sadness over the state of the world that I wondered if there was any point to live. 


And then sometimes I just want to tune it all out.  I know everything is fucked up.  Who doesn't know this?  A night like tonight I just wanted to watch a show about snow tigers.  That's all.  Yet instead of being a show about snow tigers it is a show about the efforts being made to study and save the snow tigers from extinction.  It's depressing and they won't stop berating the world for allowing this to happen, shaking their fingers at all the greedy assholes who have killed them for trophy.  Do you think those bastards give a crap that they are wiping out the tigers? No, of course not.  Duh.


Now, I'm not a simpleton, I know the reason these stances are taken and what good they can do but could we at least have some documentaries that don't make me want to slit my wrists?  Maybe put a warning on the box or something?  Damn.

No comments: